Self love is different from being selfish. Self love is love that allows for grace, assurance, confidence, restoration, forgiveness, spiritual rest, letting go, and most of all...transformational, life-giving growth.
The way I have come to understand self love is through the periods of my life when I practiced it and when I didn't. Those experiences exposed me to the successes and failures that come with self care or the lack of it.
For those of you who still are not sure what self love can look like, I am going to show you how I organize these truths so that you might be able to join me in the practice of living into the fullness of the Golden Rule.
|My friend allowing himself sleep.|
- Sleep- Between 6-8 hours
- Eat Well
- When you are sick just STOP
- Take vitamins
- Utilize Preventative care- chiropractic, acupuncture, yoga, annual physicals and screenings, dentist visits, wear sunglasses, wear sunscreen
Our minds were created to create.We were created to be curious. We are command to seek and find. Ask and the answers will be given. These brains were given to us for growth and development. When we limit ourselves and don't explore the possibilities we hold within us, how can we imagine them in others? How can we expect to share wisdom if we are not cultivating wisdom? How can we expect our lives to become better if we are not able to address our own behaviors and grow from transforming them time and time again? If we do not model these values of growth and imagination, we will stop seeing it among our youth.
- Try Something New- I am teaching myself to play banjo.
- Read Books
- Research Ideas
- Hang out with people who are different from you
- Rest-turn off the computer, turn off the music, turn off your cell phone, just rest in the quiet for a moment. Disconnect.
- Speak only love to yourself- don't bully or condemn yourself, show yourself grace and love.
- Choose to experience goodness
- Choose worthiness
|Me learning the banjo|
|Joel writing music|
Our spiritual state is our life force. Your Spirit is the source that taps you into God's great pleasures and creations. When our spirits are allowed time to grow and connect to the power that binds us all together then we are free to live a life fully blessed by God's provision.
- Create something- paint, draw, invent, write, build, cook, design,write music, dance, plan a party, decorate, etc.
- PLAY- the word "recreation" could be read as "re-creation" as you re-create yourself, relationships and experiences through play. Re-create joy over and over again.
- Say no to "doing" life and yes to "being" life
- slow down
- be mindful
- experience beauty right now
- clean up, get rid of junk
- tell your story and then retell it differently
- connect to an old friend
- make a new friend
- be vulnerable
- listen, really listen
- feel all of your emotions, claim them, live them and don't be ashamed.
- commune with others and with God
- Be part of one thing at a time
- talk to a counselor- if you have had any reason to see a counselor do not hesitate to go. Chances are only a few visits will make a world of difference. This a gift to you.
|Joel and his brother playing in Little River|